Sunday 23 December 2012

Christmas, biscuits & country cottages...

biscuit house


It's nearly Christmas day and I think we have everything ready - which kind of worries me because we are not normally this sorted and it makes me think we may have missed something.  Oh well, whatever it is I have one day left to remember and then we'll have to do without it (whatever 'it' is).

In the meantime I have been thinking of things to keep the G amused pre'TBD'  (The Big Day) and came up with the idea of festive biscuit houses which are along the same lines as gingerbread houses but which don't necessitate my baking loads of gingerbread. As you can see my 'house' turned out more like an abandoned, ramshackle barn but that said, I do kind of like it because not being too perfectionist allows you to get sticky & stuck right in - so great for kids! 


I thought I'd share it because, having had a go this afternoon,  it's messy, it's fun, it's a bit like building a house of cards and, best bit,  it's cheap as you don't need many ingredients so here goes....

You'll need some rectangular, plain biscuits...




....and some icing made up a bit like Goldilocks porridge i.e. not too thick and not too thin or it won't work!




Then you simply start sticking some biscuits together to make the basic shape and wait for it all to dry (because if you don't it will all fall apart as I discovered... many times!)




Add a roof and fill in the gap with another triangle of biscuit before drizzling liberally with more icing...









If, like me, you do not let the icing set fully between each bit of building the structure will start to slip & slide.  If it does... well you can always remove them and just add more and use the broken bits for 'walls' (or just eat them!) I say just have fun, make the best of it and pretend it was always meant to have that 'derelict shabby chic' look.  Oh - and then sprinkle with edible glitter because that just makes everything look pretty anyway!



christmas biscuit house

So, that's that.  And now, if I could just remember the thing I think I may have forgotten we should be all done for TBD....


Mince pies! I've just remembered that we have no mince pies for Santa tomorrow night... ah well, looks like the biscuit house will be put to even better use after all ;-)



                                                                             Merry Christmas !
                                              xxxxxxxxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment