Thursday 7 May 2015

Forget-me-knot Emmeline...

handmade necklace

It's voting day and I couldn't do a blog post without giving a nod to the Suffragettes and Emmeline Pankhurst who fought so hard to get women the vote!  One hundred years ago in 1915 women were increasingly picking up the slack as their men went off to war.  The Suffragettes had pledged their help to the war effort by calling a halt on militancy at the start of WWI, but still they didn't qualify to vote until 1918 (and then only if over 30).  We take it for granted that we can vote today.

Also, here's an update on my progress with pressing those little Forget-me-Knots and the project I left 'cooking'.  It has taken a bit of time to get the microwaving technique working better and not loosing the colour of the flowers when glossing over with dimensional magic but I am getting happier with the results...




how to make a pendant


I've discovered that you need to cover the flowers before adding the glossy stuff - whether with clear tape or acetate - unless you do the colour just disappears.  It's much better if you cover them and it can help to keep them where you want them!

...and with the Suffragettes in mind I decided to string this one onto ribbons in their campaign colours.. white & purple with the background of the pendant already being green!




Also, while I was experimenting, I decided to make a small picture to have on my desk and I had these little wooden frames in one of my craft drawers that had come from a paper crafting stash....






...I popped some little flowers on some backing parchment, sat them behind the frame (which I had painted with some gold paint) and glossed over them.



I then added a piece of wire at the back to get the frame to stand....




and was pretty pleased with the result!  


forgemeknot picture


I can see lots of other uses for this technique now... it might become addictive ;-)

What flowers shall I press next...


All photographs & text (c) Addicted to Making 2015

2 comments:

  1. I loved the previous post when you prepared the flowers and they now look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Josie - I think I will be making more pressed flowers as the summer comes :-)

    ReplyDelete